DuBois, PA – Let’s not forget the real reason for Memorial Day… our veterans who have given their lives to protect our freedom.
Memorial Day is a holiday meant to pay tribute to service members who died, their families, and their legacies.
It’s okay to enjoy the long weekend, but take some time to remember the sacrifices made by our military.
Please take a moment to honor those who have given their lives for our freedom.
Even though we’re adhering to some new rules this year due to the pandemic, we can still honor Memorial Day and the fallen members of our military.
Here are five things you can do this weekend.
1. Fly the American flag… if it’s not already something you do every Memorial Day already.
2. Give your kids sidewalk chalk. They can use it to make patriotic drawings or write thank-you messages to veterans on your sidewalk or driveway.
3. Donate flowers to a fallen hero. Check with your local cemetery to see if they’re accepting Memorial Day donations during the pandemic, or donate to Memorial Day Flowers, which is an organization that coordinates placing flowers for interred veterans.
4. Check out the TV and radio specials. On Connect FM, from 6 until 9 a.m. Monday morning, we will be airing ABC’s Memorial Day 2020: America Remembers special.
The “Parade of Heroes” special will stream on Facebook on Monday morning.
The “National Memorial Day Parade: America Stands Tall” special airs on the major TV networks on Monday afternoon.
5. Participate in the National Moment of Remembrance. At p.m. on Memorial Day, we’re supposed to pause for a moment of silence for those who’ve died serving in the military and take at least one minute to send love, prayers, and thoughts.
If you’ve never done it before, because you were too busy barbequing with friends or shopping Memorial Day sales, this is the year to start.