Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Health confirmed as of 12:00 a.m., December 17, that there were 9,966 additional positive cases of COVID-19, bringing the statewide total to 529,335.
There are 6,346 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19, double the peak in the spring. Of that number, 1,238 patients are in the intensive care unit with COVID-19. Most of the patients hospitalized are ages 65 or older, and most of the deaths have occurred in patients 65 or older. More data is available here.
The trend in the 14-day moving average of number of hospitalized patients per day has increased by nearly 5,200 since the end of September.
Statewide percent positivity for the week of December 4 – December 10 stood at 16.2%.
As of 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, December 16, there were 224 new deaths reported for a total of 13,392 deaths attributed to COVID-19. County-specific information and a statewide map are available on the COVID-19 Data Dashboard.
Mask-wearing is required in all businesses and whenever leaving home. Consistent mask-wearing is critical to preventing the spread of COVID-19.
There are 47,525 individuals who have a positive viral antigen test and are considered probable cases and 640 individuals who have a positive serology test and either COVID-19 symptoms or a high-risk exposure.
There are 3,101,764 individuals who have tested negative to date.
In nursing and personal care homes, there are 45,858 resident cases of COVID-19, and 8,411 cases among employees, for a total of 54,269 at 1,418 distinct facilities in all 67 counties. Out of our total deaths, 7,871 have occurred in residents from nursing or personal care facilities. A county breakdown can be found here.
Approximately 17,326 of our total cases are among health care workers.
Statewide – The Wolf Administration has – since noon, Dec. 16:
- Seven more hospitals received COVID-19 vaccine.
- Provided Pennsylvania State Police enforcement data.
The Wolf Administration stresses the role Pennsylvanians play in helping to reduce the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover any coughs or sneezes with your elbow, not your hands.
- Clean surfaces frequently.
- Stay home to avoid spreading COVID-19, especially if you are unwell.
- If you must go out, you are required to wear a mask when in a business or where it is difficult to maintain proper social distancing.
- Download the COVID Alert PA app and make your phone part of the fight. The free app can be found in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store by searching for “covid alert pa”.
Updated Coronavirus Links: Press Releases, State Lab Photos, Graphics
- Daily COVID-19 Report
- Press releases regarding coronavirus
- Latest information on the coronavirus
- Photos of the state’s lab in Exton (for download and use)
- Coronavirus and preparedness graphics (located at the bottom of the page)
- Community preparedness and procedures materials
All Pennsylvania residents are encouraged to sign up for AlertPA, a text notification system for health, weather, and other important alerts like COVID-19 updates from commonwealth agencies. Residents can sign up online at www.ready.pa.gov/BeInformed/Signup-For-Alerts.