Cleveland – Giant Eagle announced that it will be enforcing the number of guests able to shop in-store at one time.
In a press release, the company says each location will admit up to 50 percent of occupancy allowable by fire code, inclusive of store employees. They will shift to use every other register lane when possible.
The new maximum occupancy will be visibly posted near the building’s entrance.
Additionally, the company will dedicate employees to monitor guest social distancing and to provide guidance to guests when necessary.
Press release from Giant Eagle
CLEVELAND — Giant Eagle announced today that it will be enforcing the number of guests able to shop in-store at one time. Each location will admit up to 50 percent of occupancy allowable by fire code, inclusive of store Team Members, and will shift to use every other register lane when possible. The new maximum occupancy will be visibly posted near the building’s entrance.
Additionally, the company will dedicate Team Members to monitor guest social distancing and to provide guidance to guests when necessary.“The safety and well-being of our Team Members and guests is and will continue to be our top priority,” said Jannah Jablonowski, Giant Eagle Spokesperson. “As supermarkets, convenience stores and pharmacies remain in operation as essential community resources, we believe it’s vital to heighten our social distancing and sanitization procedures throughout the store.”
These shifts in store operations focus on the reinforcement of the latest social distancing guidelines and enhanced storewide sanitization efforts. Giant Eagle plans to implement all outlined activities across its stores in the coming days.
In recent weeks, Giant Eagle has implemented all CDC guidance as well as numerous operational changes intended to create a healthy shopping and working environment.
These best practices include:
- Encouraging Team Members to frequently wash their hands and to use hand sanitizer between transactions
- Providing Team Members with personal protective equipment including masks and gloves
- Enhancing frequency of in-store sanitization efforts of all commonly shared surfaces
- Installing protective plexiglass and social distancing floor indicators
- Taking steps to significantly increase capacity for curbside pickup and delivery orders
- Reserving shopping hours for vulnerable members of the community
- Discontinuing all self-service food stations (salad bar, olive bar, etc.) and product sampling
As the situation evolves, Giant Eagle is asking its guests to join in its efforts by:
- Considering the use Giant Eagle’s curbside pickup and delivery service whenever possible
- Sending only one member of their household to shop for their family
- Considering wearing masks and gloves while shopping in store
- Respecting appropriate six-feet-or-more social distance from other guests in store, and following all in-store social distance directional signage
- Considering the use of self-checkout and Scan Pay & Go options
- Using credit or debit as payment method when possible to limit contact with cashier
- Refraining from visiting the store if they are feeling ill
Jablonowski added, “We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding as we work together to keep ourselves and our neighbors safe and fed.”