DuBois, PA – Two local start-up companies were awarded with thousands of dollars and also some business help at last night’s Big Idea contest at the new DuBois LaunchBox.
The first place winner for $30,000 was Joe and Andrea Lanich with Laughing Owl Press (Kane), a company that is developing software that brings digital convenience to high-end letterpress printed products.
Second place for $20,000 was given to David and Tosha Conklin with Wilds Sonshine Factory (Kane), a company that is distilling a new spirit derived from the sunflower plant grown solely in the PA Wilds Region!
In addition to the money, the startups will also be given free consultations, access to business seminars, and growth services assistance that can help them get started on the right foot.
Out of eight finalists The 2019 Ben Franklin North Central PA Big Idea contest winners
Posted by Sunny 106 on Thursday, 21 November 2019
Listen to the full interview with Brad Lashinsky, North Central PA LaunchBox director.
Dozens of people located in North Central Pennsylvania recently applied to Ben Franklin’s $50,000 BIG IDEA Contest. The eight companies moving forward in the contest will make a pitch presentation to a panel of local judges on Thursday, Nov. 21 at the North Central PA LaunchBox at the corner of East Long Avenue and South Brady Street in DuBois.
If you run across any of the folks listed below, be sure to offer your congratulations:
- Jeff Billett with Billett Electric (Punxsutawney) is developing an equipotential grounding system for mobile operation to protect personnel and equipment from static and stray electricity.
- Keith Billotte with Doing Time LLC (Clearfield) has developed an innovation in the process of distilling bourbon.
- Peter Schramm with Lattus Inc. (Brookville) developed a platform that facilitates personal conversations about specific professional and personal topics to share insights, perspectives, and experiences.
- Joe Lanich with Laughing Owl Press (Kane) is developing software that brings digital convenience to high-end letterpress printed products.
- Daniel Meier with Lightdrop Harvest LLC (St. Marys) utilizes neural networks (artificial intelligence) in vision systems to inspect parts produced by the powdered metal industry.
- Royce Novosel-Johnson with NoJo Forest Creations (Kane) is establishing alternative and creative uses for wood and wood-related products within the PA Wilds and Allegheny National Forest.
- Harb Nayar with TAT Technologies (St. Marys) is developing a process that reduces thermal process cost and energy consumed.
- David Conklin with Wilds Sonshine Factory (Kane) is distilling a new spirit derived from the sunflower plant grown solely in the PA Wilds Region!
In addition to the money, the winner will receive:
- Access to seminars offered by Ben Franklin’s eMarketing Learning Center and the Clarion University Small Business Development Center
- A free consult on applying for federal R&D grant money from the Innovation Partnership
- Executive business and technology growth services assistance offered by the Northwest Industrial Resource Center