(NEW YORK) — Opening nationwide in theaters Friday:
* Shazam! — The film adaption of the DC comics character stars Zachary Levi as Billy Batson, a boy who turns into an adult superhero by uttering the magic word, “Shazam!” Kingsman franchise star Mark Strong, It’s Jack Dylan Grazer, and Djimon Hounsou also star. Rated PG-13.
* Pet Sematary – Jason Clarke, Amy Seimetz and John Lithgow star in this second film adaptation of Stephen King’s 1983 novel about a family that discovers a mysterious graveyard in the woods behind their house with the power to bring people back to life — with dire consequences. Rated R.
* The Best of Enemies – This historical drama centers on the unlikely friendship that developed between civil rights activist Ann Atwater and KKK leader C.P. Ellis, respectively played by Taraji P. Henson and Sam Rockwell, while embroiled in a decade-long battle over school desegregation in Durham, North Carolina during the summer of 1971. Anne Heche also stars. Rated PG-13.
Opening in limited release Friday:
* Amazing Grace — Originally shot in 1972, this film documents the production of Aretha Franklin’s critically acclaimed gospel album of the same name, recorded live at the New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles. The documentary, originally intended to be a companion to the album, finally gets its release after decades of delays due to production and legal issues. Rated G.
* The Wind – This horror film set in the 1800s centers on a woman who goes mad, as a supernatural force haunts the Western frontier land where she lives. Caitlin Gerard, Ashley Zukerman, Julia Goldani Telles and Miles Anderson star. Rated R.
* Peterloo – This historical drama chronicles the 1819 Peterloo Massacre, in which British forces attacked a peaceful pro-democracy rally in Manchester. Rory Kinnear, Maxine Peake and Neil Bel star. Rated PG-13.
Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.