DuBois, PA – Thank you to everyone who helped honor our veterans on Sunday, either by attending the ceremony at the DuBois VFW in person or by listening on Connect FM either on the radio or online.
Did you miss the ceremony? Watch the full Facebook Live video.
One of the easiest ways of supporting our local veterans all year long is by supporting the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and American Legion.
Another event coming up this Monday: The Penn State DuBois Veterans Club invites all members of the community to a Veterans Day ceremony and dedication of a new campus Veterans Memorial. The event is planned for 12:15 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 12, near the flag pole at Penn State DuBois.
The DuBois VFW will perform a 21-gun salute as part of the ceremony. Veterans Club members will unveil the new memorial to honor all students, past, present and future, who serve or have served in the armed forces, during a dedication ceremony. The granite, keystone-shaped stone will feature the seals of all five branches of the U.S. military, as well as an inscription memorializing student veterans of the campus.
Light refreshments will also be available. For more information, or to make a donation, contact Sueann Doran at [email protected] or 814-375-4716.
Although there’s nothing we can do to completely thank our veterans for all that they do, many businesses are saying “thank you” to veterans and active military members by offering freebies or deals on food and drinks. Just remember that these offers require proof of ID or a uniform.
Proof of service is recommended at most of these places. This may include a current military or retired military ID card, veterans ID card, VA healthcare ID card, DD Form 214, drivers license with a veterans designation, a uniform, or a photo of you in uniform.
Discounts (alphabetical order):
- Home Depot – offers a 10 percent discount to veterans all year long
- Lowe’s – 10 percent discount for veterans all year long
Free meals and drinks (alphabetical order):
- Denny’s – free Build Your Own Grand Slam from 5 a.m. to noon on Monday, Nov. 12. Meal includes four breakfast items, including two buttermilk pancakes, two eggs, two bacon or turkey bacon strips, buttermilk biscuits, or hash browns.
- Eat N Park – all active and former military receiver 10 percent discount for the entire month of November
- Firehouse Pizzeria in DuBois – free lunch buffet (dine in only) Monday, Nov. 12 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Hoss’s Steakhouse – eat at the soup, salad, and dessert bar for free from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 12
- Red Lobster – free appetizer or dessert Monday, Nov. 12. Guests may choose an item from a special menu including appetizers such as sweet chili shrimp, mozzarella cheese sticks and coconut shrimp and a limited dessert menu.