Clearfield County, PA – After multiple suicide attempts recently in the Clearfield area, we want to make sure you know where you can go if you’re feeling depressed.
All on the same day in Clearfield, police came to the aid of a man on East Cherry Street and a woman on Merrill Street, both of whom had in separate incidents taken pills in an attempt to harm themselves.
Police also helped a woman along North 2nd Street who said she was having suicidal thoughts.
All three were taken to the hospital for treatment and evaluations.
Suicide rates are on the rise in Pennsylvania. Click Here to read a previous new report about it.
Resources if you need help
Suicide Prevention Resources in PA:
- Prevent Suicide PA
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- If You Are Thinking About Suicide: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis. If you need help, please dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- Crisis Text Line
- Crisis Text Line is free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Text “PA” to 741741 to text with a trained Crisis Counselor. Crisis Text Line trains volunteers to support people in crisis.
- Pennsylvania Student Assistance Program
- Search for services in your county here.
Tips for finding a therapist
There’s no shame in going to a therapist! Think of it as taking your car to get a tune-up, except for your mental health.
To find a therapist, if you have health insurance, start by looking at your insurance company’s website or calling them.
If money is an issue, look for therapists with sliding scales.
If you’re having issues because of substance abuse or domestic violence, there are specific groups that offer counseling for those situations.
- Sexual assault and domestic violence – PASSAGES in Clearfield, DuBois, and Clearfield
- Rape, abuse, and incest – RAINN
- Alcoholism and drug abuse – PA Department of Drug Abuse programs
You might also consider reaching out to a church or charity organization to find other support groups that you can join.
Like Connect FM on Facebook for more local news each day: