DuBois, PA – Give the gift of life this Wednesday. Danonewave in DuBois is partnering with the American Red Cross for a blood drive, this Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Listen the interview with Jodi August, director of the DuBois Chamber of Commerce.
The blood drive will be held at the Danonewave training room on Oklahoma Salem Road.
Walk-ins are welcome, but you can make the process faster by scheduling an appointment by calling 1-800-Red-Cross.
Just one blood donation can potentially save up to three lives. Across America, someone needs blood every 2 seconds. Blood and platelets can’t be manufactured… they can only come from willing donors, so showing up this Wednesday and donating is important.
Each day, patients who are recovering from accidents or receiving treatments for cancer or blood disorders rely on these lifesaving donations. The need is always there, no matter what season, but donations dwindle during June, July and August.
In order to donate blood, you have to meet a list of requirements to make sure that the blood is safe and also to keep yourself safe while you’re donating.
- You must be at least 18 but less than 60 and weigh at least 110 pounds.
- Officials will test your hemoglobin count, body temperature and blood pressure at the time of the donation.
- If you have infections or diseases that can be transmitted via blood, you cannot donate.
- You also won’t be able to donate if you’ve had alcohol in the past 48 hours, have injected illegal drugs even once, or if you’ve had surgery recently.
- You can donate blood about every 3 months, or 56 days.
It only takes about 5 or 6 minutes for the actual donation, but the entire process could be longer, about 30 minutes. You’ll be asked a series of questions and given a quick checkup.
Like Connect FM on Facebook for more local news each day: