Clearfield and Jefferson Counties, PA – Two local senior centers are getting grants from the Pennsylvania Department of Aging.
The Reynoldsville Foundry Senior Center in Jefferson County has been awarded a grant in the amount of $30,000 which will be used to replace flooring and to install noise reduction panels.
Clearfield Center for Active Living in Clearfield County has been awarded a grant in the amount of $46,500, which will be used for the following initiatives:
- Equipment and supplies for birdwatching and fishing group excursions
- Bus trips to Flight 93 Memorial; Elk County Visitor Center; Sight and Sound Theater; Kinzua State Park and Zippo Factory
- Women with Arms (women’s shooting and safety instruction)
- Golden Zumba and other YMCA classes
- “Planning for Uncertainty” living will and directive preparation and attorney fee for delivering course
- Pottery Classes
- Creative Aging art classes partnered with Galaxy CIU and PA Partnership of the Arts (a continuation of a PDA partnership with PA Council on Arts which funded pilot programs across the state for the Creative Aging program, delivering creative art programs to seniors to positively affect loneliness and isolation)
- A summer celebration for 500 consumers to build on previous success with similar events
In Pennsylvania there are over 500 senior community centers across the 67 counties, and these grants are designed to help centers increase participation and provide innovative programs that attract a new generation of older Pennsylvanians.
“Senior Centers within our region provide a critical service to our communities by offering a wide variety of programs and services to senior citizens and their families,” Senator Joe Scarnati said. “I’m very pleased that these grants will enable two of our local centers to further their missions of helping to meet the needs of older Pennsylvanians.”
Across the state, the Senior Community Center Grant Program is providing a total of $2 million through 41 grants from State Lottery funds for 2017-18. More information on senior community centers can be found by visiting aging.pa.gov.
Like Connect FM on Facebook for more local news each day: