Saegertown, PA – A 30-year-old bald eagle that was being treated for lead poisoning in northeast Pennsylvania has died less than two weeks after two other eagles died of the same cause.

The Tamarack Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Center in Saegertown announced on Sunday that Kiski, their rescued eagle, had died.

Eagles can be poisoned by lead that they pick up while scavenging animals that were shot or from a fishing sinker.

To help prevent lead poisoning, pick up anything that you might otherwise leave in nature. If you shoot an animal, take it with you to use for meat, taxidermy, or otherwise dispose. Be sure to take fishing sinkers with you when you are done fishing.

The Tamarack Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Center posted a dedication to Kiski, the bald eagle, on their Facebook page on Sunday.


Related Stories: