McCalmont Township, PA – The teenage Amish girl from Jefferson County who had been severely burned in a gasoline fire earlier this month has passed away.

The 16-year-old girl had been taken to a Pittsburgh hospital on July 17 after a gas-powered washing machine she was refueling caught on fire.

The teen is remaining unnamed at this time. She was reportedly refilling a gas-powered engine that operated a washing machine in the basement of the home. She was using a 5-gallon gas can to refill the gas tank when the tank began to overflow. The hot muffler on the engine ignited the gas, starting the fire.

Her father, 40-year-old Eli Wengerd, discovered the fire. He removed the girl from the basement and extinguished it. Both the girl and Wengerd suffered burns and were flown by medical helicopter to UPMC Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh.

The teen girl was pronounced dead Wednesday afternoon at the hospital. She died from septic shock. Severe burns can be prone to infection, and the girl reportedly had multiple wound infections.

There’s no word on how the father is recovering.


Related Stories: