St. Marys, PA – A pickup truck was destroyed after it caught on fire in St. Marys on Monday night. The 1995 Ford F-150 was parked with the ignition off when the fire was discovered.
No one was inside the pickup truck at the time, and there were no injuries. Damage is estimated at $8,000. The truck is owned by 56-year-old Robert Geiser of St. Marys.
The Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal determined that the fire was accidental. The fire reportedly started in the engine compartment at the speed control deactivation switch, located on the master cylinder. A recall had been issued from Ford in 2005 for a problem with the switch.
The recall indicated the switch could overheat, smoke or burn even if the vehicle is parked with the ignition off.
The owner of the pickup truck continued to operate the truck after the recall was issued. To check if your vehicle, tires, car seats, household items or food products have been recalled, check www.recalls.gov.